Prom night is an exciting time for our teens. I am sure you can still remember your own prom night, I know I do. Every parent wants their teen to carry those memories with them for a life time. But prom night also can spell tragedy. Here are just a few prom safety tips. Please watch this informative video from the Insurance Information Institute.
Bancorp's 10 Easy Prom Safety Checklist:
1. Who will be driving? Will they drive themselves or rent a limo?
2. If driving themselves, get a list of names, phone numbers and parents names, phone numbers and addresses.
3. Get a complete itinerary, including who your teen will be partying with, addresses and phone numbers for the prom location as well as any after-parties your teen plans to attend.
4. If you are renting a limo be sure to check the limo company's driving record, and don't be afraid to ask the company to provide it to you.
5. Make sure your teen knows how to contact you through out the evening. Consider arranging specific check-in times, and make sure you can contact your teen throughout the entire night.
6. Communicate with your teen specifically about how you expect them to handle difficult situations such as being offered a ride by an intoxicated driver, being offered alcohol or drugs, or pressured to have sex. Be sure to offer to pick your teen up and give the intoxicated driver a ride home if need be..
7. Insist that there are to be no changes made to the itinerary without your prior approval, and make that a firm rule.
8. Find out who will be supervising the prom and after-parties. Be sure to speak directly with any parents supervising after-parties your teen wishes to attend.
9. Someone should wait up until your teen arrives back home safely.
10. Make sure your teen understands you just want them to arrive home safely and alive.